Saturday, July 9, 2011

Escaping Solitary Confinement

"...within twenty minutes his friend shared that his marriage was in trouble. A leader almost always is expected to be on duty." (pg. 113)
I know this is a short quote, but it really resonated with me. I was told by my father a couple of years ago, if you want to make a friend, just don't talk about yourself. While he is much better at this than I am, I am trying, and for the most part the mantra has been a practice in leadership. This pastor he is referencing has to listen to another guy's problems after some half-hearted attempts to get advice for his own. It's daunting to think that picking up the mantle of leadership means I always have to be "on duty." Daunting, but not impossible. My problems have to be on the back burner when it comes to the guys I disciple and any small group I lead. I guess what makes this not overwhelming is the sense that this is the way of things, that someone has to do it, and why not me?

No comments:

Post a Comment